Using your 1.5 GB Catalyst Student Account
Catalyst Web Tools recently implemented a Student Tech Fee funded student file space. Each student has 1.5 GB of storage on Catalyst servers to upload files to. The instructions that follow provide some basic instructions on how to upload a GIS project to a Catalyst Student Account.
To backup data to your Catalyst WebFiles Account:
BEFORE BACKING UP GIS PROJECTS AND DATA, BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE SET YOUR MAP DOCUMENT TO STORE RELATIVE PATHS SO IT WILL OPEN CORRECTLY ON ANOTHER GIS WORKSTATION.
Prepare your GIS project for uploading:
- Ensure that you have set your map document (.mxd file) to store relative paths.
- Close ArcMap/ArcCatalog and save your project
- Assuming all your data and project files are in a single folder (e.g. C:\gisproject), it is recommended that you zip this folder to simplify uploading to catalyst.
- Navigate to your folder in Windows Explorer, right-click it, choose the WinZip menu option, the choose the "Add to Zip file..." option:
- In the "Add to archive" box, give your new zip file a name and location:
- After the zip operation completes, close WinZip.
- Check the file size of your newly created zip file to ensure that it is not larger than your allowable space in Catalyst.
When you are ready to upload your zipped project to your Catalyst file storage space, open a web browser and go to the Catalyst home page and click the Web Tools Login on the upper right hand portion of their homepage.
- After entering your UWNetID and password, you are logged into Catalyst Web Tools. Under the "Your Tools" box, click the "Main Menu" box next to the first heading called "WebFiles":
- Now click the icon next to studentfiles.washington.edu/yourUWNetID to get into your file space:
- Click the "Upload file button":
- Type the path to your zipped project file created above, or click the browse button to select the file, then click the "Save" button:
- After the Catalyst dialog box disappears, your file is uploaded and you are finished: